Basketball at Saint Stanislaus
- 1916 - In SSC’s first year in athletics, the basketball team wins the South Championship led by Coach Forster Commagere
- 1924 - The Basketball Rock-A-Chaws win the Best Sportsmanship Trophy among the 32 teams in a Chicago tournament. The
judges are so impressed by their clean play that they decide to award the trophy to SSC permanently, rather than
- having it contested annually.
1956 SSC Varsity Basketball Team
- 1967 - 1980 - Coach Bob Cuccaro’s teams consistently win twenty games per season.
- 1970 - Curtis St. Mary scores 53 points in a game, 680 in a season, and 28 rebounds in a game. Curtis averages 30.9 points a
game and signs with McNeese.
Curtis St. Mary in 1970
- 1972 - The Rock-a-Chaws finish with a 25-3 record and are undefeated in all conference play.
- 1974 - Gerald Lymuel is voted Outstanding Defensive Player for three years and Most Valuable Player for two. He is selected
- to the All Gulf Coast Conference team three years in a row, named Gulf Coast Conference Defensive Player of the Year
- in 1972, and named Offensive Player of the Year in 1974. Gerald averages 21.6 points per game, and holds the record for all-time high scorer with 1,241 points.
Coach Cuccaro congratulates Gerald Lymuel after his last high school game
- 1975 - Coach Bob Cuccaro is honored as Coach of the Year in the Pascagoula River Conference for the team’s 21-6 record.
- 1977- The team finishes with a 19-7 record. Paul Brown is the only player to score over 1,000 points and grab over 1,000
- rebounds in a three year career. Brown is selected to all conference and all district teams.
- 1989 - Coach Chuck Genin coaches the Rocks to the State playoffs.
- 1981 - The team finishes with a record of 23-3 and are co-champions of the Pascagoula River Conference.
- 1984 - Kris Geroux leads the team with excellent leadership, leading the team in scoring and steals. The team wins the Gulf
Coast Catholic Tournament by defeating St. John, Mercy Cross, and Our Lady of Victories. Pg. 130
Kris Geroux in 1984
- 1990 - Shannon Garrett averages 18.6 points per game and is voted district MVP.
- 1996 - For the first time since 1944, the Rock-A-Chaws advance to the State Tournament in Jackson, Mississippi. Other
accomplishments included the Hancock County Tournament Championship, the Mayor’s Cup Championship, the South
State Consolation Championship, and the team’s third consecutive appearance in the Sweet 15. Terry Lawyer, the 6’9”
center, makes All State and is selected to the Mississippi All Star team. He signs to play with Mississippi State.
- 1999 - The team finishes with a 31-6 record, the most wins in school history. They win four invitational tournament
championships, including the Pope John Paul Jaguar classic and the Hancock Co. Tournament. They finish as the
7-AAAA runner up, and advance to the Elite 8 in the state playoffs.
- 2001 - Grady Willis becomes the first SSC player chosen for the prestigious Mississippi-Alabama All Star game. Willis
starts and led his team with 12 points.
- 2011 - The Rock-a-Chaws win the 4A State Championship.